[at-l] On When To Endure, When to Quit

These quotes remind me of an article I once read about the mindset of top long distance runners and cyclists. People were moderately successful when they learned to block out the pain. The really successful (in this case meaning fast) people learned to feed off the pain. They used the pain to push themselves even harder or at least longer.

I think a long distance hike is trickier mentally. After all taking a zero day is not quitting or failure. Still practicing blocking or ignoring pain seems good in some situations. I do find myself feeding on the pain on long uphills. Once my quads start screaming I can't ignore them and stopping doesn't get you up the hill. A quick break and stretch works for me on the way up with a longer rest at the top.

Soulfull
Jack.Bulkley@sas.com
Apex, NC
Anyplace is within walking distance if you have the time.