Re[2]: [at-l] Trip Report (off trail) update

Weary,
I am not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV but I have two points that you  might
consider.

The warden claimed that unless the property was
> posted  for  no  trespassing  no  crime is being committed by ATVs using private
> property. So to keep ATVs from damaging a preserve that we bought to give people
> a  trail  to walk on, we have to keep hikers off.
> Weary

First:
Check with a local atty about posting your preserve in similar fashion to wilderness
postings ie. This Property Is Posted Off Limits to motor vehicles, bicycles, horses,
pack animals and is intended for foot travel only.  No Trespassing except by hikers
only.  Violaters Will Be Prosecuted To The Full Extent of theLaw.  (or some-such
statement)

If it is good enough for USFS to post at the boundries of wilderness areas, why
wouldn't that work for your property?  In NC you can also register your property with
the wildlife office.  This gives them permission to watch and question anyone on your
property and they will know that anyone hunting or ATV'ing is trespassing.   Maybe
there is a similar arrangement where you live.

(An alternate warning you could use:  Hikers Welcome - all others Keep Out. If you're
found here tonight, you'll be found here tomorrow.)  I like that one because here in
the South it's easier to understand. :-)

> "...You  should  have 'confiscated' the license plate if there was one," advises
> Shane.

Second:
If you found it on or near the trail, doesn't that makes it Trail Magic?  You could strip
it for parts and sell it.  Use the proceeds to buy the Posted Signs.  :-) !!!

Tin Man