[at-l] Tornadoes

Has a tornado very actually crossed the Trail?

Interesting question.  At first I was thinking that the one in Great
Barrington in 1995 certainly did, but I am not sure about the "very actually
part".  I think I need to get out my maps.  I know that the wind damage did
close down the AT, but I'll bet the tornado proper missed it.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/memorial.html

I know that the AT was hit real hard in 1938 in the Whites, but if I am not
mistaken that was a hurricane.  The damage was all over New England, and
some fairly recent maps still make reference to the areas in the mountains
where all trails were obliterated.

I share your curiosity.

Rick B