Re[2]: [at-l] Cleaning poles

In a message dated 4/29/2002 6:30:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> Somehow,  as  I read the Leki "instructions" I become more and more pleased
> with
> what are now a pair of wooden poles, though I still only use one at a time.
>
> In  all  these  years they have yet to require any maintenance on my part.
> Their
> only drawback is they don't collapse, though so far I've never felt the
> need. Do
> most  hikers  really adjust the length of their Lekis, depending on the
> terrain,
> or do most just find a reasonable compromise and make do?
>
> My  wooden poles also don't jab holes in the soil of the trail, which I
> consider
> a  plus. It makes me feel superior when, as sometimes happens, hikers
> lecture me
> about "leaving no trace," when I wash my hands with a bit of soap.
>
> Weary

You know, Dad and I have always had this debate over equipment. It doesn't
have to be fancy shmancy. It just gets you to the woods. We concur.
I have a "old-time" Leki. It has seen many miles, and I am attached to it.
It doesn't fold, nor does it have any fancy mechanism. Its scratched. Regular
tip that doesn't make holes. It is a regular pole. But, there is nothing
wrong with it. And, unless it breaks, which I do not foresee it doing so, I
will continue to use it. It's is almost a hiking buddy.

"Do you want to go to the woods?" Yes, I do. And I will see you there.

Dawg

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---