[at-l] Unmarked magic

Even trail runners should instruct their support staff to hide the goodies.
I've seen good clothes abandoned: Near the water just before Springer, I saw
a whole wardrobe that had to have been abandoned the year before.  All nice
and neatly spread out as if to dry.  Maybe it was a Southbounder at the end
of their trip.  Or a person who suddenly decided they had had enough before
they even got to Springer.  I have seen food in a large garbage bag thrown
on the roof of shelter.

If food or whatever is in plain sight, what is it?  Any sensible person
would have hidden it.  And if it's hidden, then it is someone's.  But if
it's not, then it's abandoned.

AS for the idea of signs, most of us don't carry permanent markers or sturdy
materials for signs.  And a lot of TRAIL MAGIC items are simply abandoned
when someone decides "Hey!  I don't need a thousand miles of extension
cord."  Besides signs don't always work.  Signs can be blown away, rained to
pieces, eaten... "Say Yogi, do you like this strange white bread?" --
Boo-Boo.

Another good reason (besides differing between TRAIL MAGIC/ABANDONED and
MINE!MINE!) to hid things is that some people are going to steal no matter
what: "Gee, this car's just sitting here.  It must be Street Magic."

William, The Magic Turtle