[at-l] Day 4 -- Short hike, long report, many blue blazes

Friday -- Since we were all sleeping in the shelter together, Cuz told me if
he started snoring, to poke him. That's what his wife does to make him stop.
Well, I poked him off and on about all night, but I can't say it did much
good. We threatened we'd use a Leki next time.

And then there was a Whippoorwill. I was excited to hear it. I think their
habitat is diminishing, and I haven't heard one in ages. I did wish it would
take a break, though.

The next morning one of the young guys said I needed to learn to fall asleep
in the snoring lulls between pokes. I said I'd tried, but it didn't do much
good. That's because the pressure is on, his friend laughed. You know you
have that limited time and you can't do it. Poor Cuz. We all just gave him an
awful hard time.

The two young guys were up at six. We were not far behind. They are very
efficient. Candy bars and instant breakfast and they're gone -- or would have
been if one hadn't' forgotten his pot ;-)

The rest of us were pretty much ready at the same time and had breakfast
together, still enjoying our conversations. The thru hikers told many good
stories about the more eccentric and unusual people they had met on the trail.

One guy had bought an expensive sil nylon tarp, system didn't know how to
pitch it in rain, got wet, and gave it away. He then bought a single-wall
tent, had not been in it, didn't fit, touched all the sides, and got wet when
it rained. So he gave that away as a piece of trash. Yikes.

John noticed that I wasn't recovering the way I should have and he (or he and
Cuz) decided on a new plan. We would hike to Shook Branch recreation area,
where I would stay, while they slackpacked to Dennis Cove to get the truck.

The two miles to the recreation area were much like Cuz had promised for the
whole lake part. There was a nice gentle down and then mostly level. The
temps hadn't heated up yet, and we made good time.

They went on then while I got out my pad and bag and made up for lost sleep.
I cooked lunch on my alcohol stove and was thankful nobody fussed about my
camping/sleeping in the park.

I am always somewhat surprised by how few days in the woods it takes to make
normal things seem miraculous. Already we were impressed by flush toilets and
running water.

Back in Damascus to deliver Cuz to his car, we saw the hikers from the spring
I'd bypassed and April. She had made the 30 plus miles in about a day and a
half. Our pleasure at seeing each other again, after such short time
together, made me realize how it must be for a class of thru hikers. They
must have an incredible bond after spending so much trail time together.

This was fun trip despite my early exit. I'm looking forward to doing GA in
the fall. In the meantime we'll be in Wisconsin and Minnesota and doing some
hiking up there.

Vcat