[at-l] Cooler at Trailside, Was Bear stuff

--- rick boudrie <rickboudrie@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On the otherhand, I frankly don't get some of the more
> contrived generosity directed towards thru-hikers.  I know its
genuine and heart-felt, but I just don't get it.  I don't know
ANYTHING about goodies left along the Trail down South, or about
people waiting by Trailheads to give rides and assistance, but
the whole scene seems rather wierd to me.  And if pushed, I
might use another adjective.  But my perception is not based on
first hand experience, so I am just reacting to the internet
reports.> Rick B

### To your relief, Rick, it's all relative. I think. (This must
be an old-guy thing.... but my gawd, does this mean I'm an old
guy?) Rick, you hiked in 19AT3, as I recall, to my '79. We
didn't know of such institutionalized kindnesses, excepting
Roger Brickner and the Ice Cream Lady and some limited others
(so limited that we can name 'em by name, eh?). These were big
events, that we ended up hiking toward for hundreds of miles in
grim/gleeful anticipation. And having come a score of years
forward, all this preplanned stuff looks like preplanned
dilution of the experience, don't it? I agree, and it gives me
the willies.

### But let's remember yourt "not based on first-hand
experience..." thing. In the Summer'00 LT hike, Stitches met up
with the SmallBoys and I twice, and shuttled us to groceries and
slacked us some gear and WOW did that help. Summer'01 LT hike,
coming north from Wallingford toward Killington, we happened
upon one of those preplanned sodas-in-the-stream dealies,
completely unanticipated by us. WHOAAAAA! JUST what the doctor
ordered. Bought a coke for each of us, each of us downing it
right there, each of us belching (in three part harmony) in
joyous celebration of carbonation. That sugar and caffiene kick
certainly helped two 7 year olds pop off a 16 mile day that
included thousands of feet of rise and fall, including
Killington and Pico, and ending at the Long Trail Inn. It was a
ferocious day; we wuz puttin' out; them cokes helped BUNCHES;
and my mind was broadened, if not altogether changed.

The end.
'Toe

=====
Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!