[at-l] Bears at Springer an exaggeration???

I have spent many, many nights on top of Springer and in that general area
and have yet to see a single bear there.  I have actually talked to a couple
of people who told me they enjoyed writing bear stories in the shelter
registers just for kicks.  I am not saying that there are no bears at all,
but they seem to be scared of us too.  Several times I have checked a
shelter out after a group from a school for problem teenagers (i.e. one in
Dahlonega) or a scout group left and found food wrappers and occasionally an
entire package of food left to invite the critters in the area.  Springer is
a favorite for this school, and other youth groups who seem to not be
informed about critter danger.  Perhaps we need more hikers to get involved
with these groups to educate them.
I never stay in shelters. I use them to socialize, have lunch and cook in
bad weather.  I often do pitch my tent, tarp or hammock near, but not too
near, a shelter.  I hang my bearbag several yards from my camp and have
never, ever had a problem.  I double bag and use a strong branch, but not
one strong enough for a bear to hang onto.  I have been doing this for many
years.

I really think that when there is one instance (or possible instance) of a
bear sighting, word spreads.  The story gets bigger and bigger and people
get in a panic.  I personally believe the best solution is to educate the
leaders and have more serious hikers involved in the education.  I love to
see young folks out there in the woods, but also feel the need to follow up
after them.

In all the years I have hiked in this area, one time I saw a couple of bears
far in the distance.  They ran from us!  One other time I saw a cub in the
distance and I almost ran, thinking about Mama bear.  That was several
years ago.  How many of you PERSONALLY have seen a bear in the Springer
area?

Bottom line:  The hype bears closer scrutiny!

Hummingbird