[at-l] Bear cables dont work!

yo,

	For black bears I believe tossing them food is a bad idea. I have seen black bears charge or bluff. They do learn and if you drop food to keep them from following you or to get away from one of their bluff charges you are increasing danger to yourself and others. Eventually the bear may have to be destroyed if it becomes to bold in this strategy. Sure all this may not mean squat to you when a big bear comes running towards you. It is very hard to stand your ground or move away slowly. If you
run most wild animals instinct will be to chase you.
	With a wild animal you never know what will happen. Hopefully all your bear encounter will be pleasant ones.
	My funniest bear encounter was in the Smokys. A bear charged a group of people that were cooking breakfast outside a shelter. We had been watching the bear sit on the hill and watch us for a while. Finally he came charging down the hill. The two biggest guys tried to enter the narrow shelter door at the same time. Everyone else was stuck outside while these two stooges blocked the door. It was hilarious. The bear eased up his charge before he got very close to anyone and just meandered around.
Surprisingly he did not knock over any of the stoves that were set up and boiling away. After looking around a bit he left.
	A lot of folks really get their stuff spread out while eating lunch or dinner. You should see them scramble when a bear shows up. I try to keep everything real consolidated so if a bear shows up I can pack up and walk away or move into a shelter.
	Something else to consider. If you should deiced to sleep with your food as many of us do, mostly for small critter protection. Put your food near your feet rather than near your head. After all if something is going to nibble on you, where would you rather they start, feet or head?
	One more thing. When you stop to relive yourself it is a good idea not to sit your pack down and walk to far away to dig your cat hole. In the smokys bears have been known to run up and grab packs left this way.

This sure is a great place to share ideas. Thanks Ryan!

chase