[at-l] Cooler at Trailside, Was Bear stuff

> It also has me thinking that the real beauty of such a gesture is when >it is
> unexpected and uncommon.  And such an offer would really be unexpected
> ouside of the thru-hiking community.  Just a thought.
 > Rick B

It's a good thought.
On last week's AT hike, we came across a red cooler set in a ways from Sam's
Gap, clearly labeled "Trail Magic" on the Cover. No other specifics or
requirements.

Inside were sodas and several Moon-Pie-looking substances. Being a well-fed
section hiker and not a ravenous thru-hiker, I passed on the
MP-whangdoodles, but the cool soda was a blessing.

My opinion is: take a moment to leave a note of thanks. The gift may be
unconditional, but why not return the good feelings? It's not much effort,
and gives the giver a sense of connection. It's a true exchange then,
completing the circle.

Five days later, in Hot Springs I hear a shout, and it's Miss Janet. "I got
a note from you!" she says. It had been her cooler.
So, you never know. The exchange left us both with a little glow. Another
little droplet into the sum total of happiness on the world. Why ever not?
There's plenty of the other.

--
    	Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.

	Website: