[at-l] Bear cables dont work!

At 07:46 AM 4/25/02 -0400, Bruce Calkins wrote:
>It is not that bears are all that smart.  They are persistent, once they
>find easy, tasty food they will spend a inordinate amount of time and energy
>getting it.  Persistence works well with the trial and error method of food
>gathering.

They're smart too.  When they learn that food can be found in a certain
place, they go there looking for it.  When they try something to get food
they've spotted and it works they'll try it again.  I read an article on
bear bagging a few years back in which the author claimed he/she never bear
bagged.  The authors solution was to put the food on the ground in a place
away from camp that would never have had food stored before.  I'm not sure
how that was determined.  Anyway the author claimed to have never lost food
to bears using this method.  The logic?  Because they never found food
there before, the bears didn't look there.   YBMV

sAunTerer