[at-l] Cooler at Trailside, Was Bear stuff

>we've left soda and beer on the Trail at times-- but always with a   > note
>that it was for thruhikers

That's kind of nice, I think.  Especially if it is a good beer that drinks
well warm.

But this whole thing has me thinking.  If you are going to leave a beer/soda
on the Trail, why leave the instructions that it is just for a thru-hiker?
Why not leave a note explaining the tradition of trail magic, and offer it
up to all?  If you wanted, you might "suggest" that a thru-hiker would
appreciate your present the most, but invite anyone who want it to partake
if they were "a thru-hiker or as thirsty as one" or some such.

Just a thought.  I am figuring that if a weekender is to be confronted with
your bottle, why not include him in the magic?  Otherwise, it is kind of
like litter.  To him.  You can bet he will have interupted his
hike/song/reverie to read your note!

It also has me thinking that the real beauty of such a gesture is when it is
unexpected and uncommon.  And such an offer would really be unexpected
ouside of the thru-hiking community.  Just a thought.

Lastly, its got me thinking that the details as to how and where one places
such an offering does make a difference.

Rick B