[at-l] pittsburgh 1200noon 04/25/02

pittsburgh 1200noon 04/25/02

i had plan A and plan B for when i hit spivey gap.  plan B was to pitch my tent at any of the ample tent areas near the gap, and spend a rainy night huddled in my cocoon.  plan A was to thumb to erwin and the holiday inn express.  this would probably be rather frustrating because the road is not well used...

the descent from high rocks to spivey gap begins as a steep rock hop.  generally rock hops are fine wih me, but i was somewhat exhausted from the ascent to high rocks.  my legs were wobbly.  after the rock hop, the trail becomes sedate and gorgeous.  it sidehills and swithbacks along some wonderful slopes, coming back on itself a number of times, passing springs and crossing streams, often the same stream more than once.  the old trail, which went straight dowhill, is crossed here and there also.  i forgot my fatigue and thoroughly enjoyed the descent...

at spivey gap, i positioned myself next to the road near the parking area (with one car parked), sitting on my pack.  it had sprinkled off and on during the day, and that continued here.  over the hour-and-a-half i was there, eight or nine cars passed me going the wrong way, one passed me going the right way.  but i was determined...

eventually a car pulled into the lot, and three guys piled out.  i had passed them on the trail earlier in the day going the opposite direction.  they were day-hikers with two vehicles, and the car in the parking lot was theirs.  my salvation had arrived.  they took me right to the holiday inn express...

today is a crappy rainy day, so it is a day off.  my hiking today will be around town...

pittsburgh

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.