[at-l] pittsburgh 200pm 04/22/02

pittsburgh 200pm 04/22/02

modified my plans.  started north today from devil fork gap.  this gives my shuttlers/hosts consideration for the distances they will travel to drop me off and pick me up.  i stayed with timmy and peter pan (slackpack tour '97) last night, and peter pan shuttled me today.  i plan on being at the holiday inn express in erwin thursday night, as i hike by.  then peter pan will pick me up at 19E on tuesday next (the 30th).  i will then be hiking again with granny and yakdung for a week, somewhere in nothern virginia.  then back to 19E on the 10th of may, for a hike north to damascus and traildays...

i've been out today for only a couple hours.  late start, short miles.  the hike today so far has been outstanding.  there were two ladder type stiles and a walk through stile during the first short climb.  there is a good flowing stream where you cross boone cove road.  the ascent of frozen knob then begins.  i noticed the first poison ivy i've  seen this season.  everything seems to be blooming. then i heard the sound of rain hitting the ground - but, it was not raining!  it was the grasshoppers.  i've experience the grasshoppers in past years, and was looking forward to this - thousands of hoppers jumping when you hike by, making quite a racket.  one of mother natures more interesting tricks<g>...

came upon two graves.  took my pack off and stayed a bit.  joe died at age 90 - dorothy at age 99 just one month shy of 100.  the graves were spaced apart, and joe and dorothy had different last names, but they had been contemporaries, so who knows what the story was?  i spoke with them both, and thanked them for such a peaceful spot to take a break...

the trail passed two ruins of log cabins not far from the graves, then joined an atv trail for a short piece, then began long sidehill switchback sections, passing a beautiful cascading stream.  i am presently at the stream where the trail has switched back again...

this time of year is inspiring.  new growth, fresh aromas, scampering critters, babbling brooks, radiant sun, smiling hikers...

pittsburgh

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.