[at-l] Bear cables dont work!

The Weathercarrot wrote:

> The majority of the AT has minimal bear issues for hikers, and most
> people end up hanging their food in the shelters or sleep with food in
> their tents (whether people agree or disagree with those practices,
> that's what most long distance AT hikers are doing).

Wow.  I had no idea.  Do most start out hanging food and get tired
of it?

FWIW, my mom taught me to hang my food when she taught me backpacking,
and I've only not hung my food once since then.  I forget why - broken
rope, lack of trees, something like that.  I worried about it the whole
night.

Strangely enough, I've never lost food to bears in Shenandoah.  I've
woken up to see bears considering my foodbag, but they always move on.
It's kind of funny to watch them.  If there's more than one, it looks
like they're having a conference.  There have definitely been times
when an industrious bear could have gotten to my food though.  Real
life is so much peskier than theory.

-amy