[at-l] songs, life, death, trail

Hi to all,
Just got back from a cousin's funeral in Charlotte and have some
thoughts to share with no one (or everyone) in particular.  I am of
course sad at her passing but she was a woman of great faith, lived
a full life and has five children and a bizillion grand and great grand
kids.  We all loved her and will miss her a lot.  In the dictionary,
under the heading of "people who did it right" you will see a picture
of Edith.

On the 3 hour drive I had time to think about the sum of my life and
what I still had left to do on my personal "list" before I check out for
good.  I have always thought I wanted  to do a thru hike but there
was a bit of doubt.  Was it right for me?  The hint of doubt of not
knowing if that is the right thing for me to do was somehow removed
over the last two days.  I suspect that my upcoming short section
hike is now more necessary than I thought as  I am in serious need
of some time in the woods.  (Tune-up and a complete balance job
please!)  I now know that I will not make it into the "people who did it
right" section unless I thru-hike.  It is right for me and I am at peace
now knowing that.

Anyway, was listening to some cds on the way down and two songs
seemed to have some very appropriate meaning for this time and
my desire to one day do a thru hike.

Oh, it's enough to be on your way.
It's enough just to cover ground.
It's enough to be moving on.
Boy, better build it behind your eyes.
Carry it in your heart
Safe among your own.   (James Taylor)

and

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go, no one can follow
That path is for your steps alone.  (Jerry Garcia)

Thank you for being THE LIST.  I am so impressed with the help,
caring, and positive energy that each of you show in your own way
to total strangers.  Thanks for letting me post this.
Peace.
Tin Man