[at-l] Traveling with hiking poles

i just traveled to chile to do some backpacking and think i can be of
some help. first...the airlines do not allow the poles as carry-on
anymore and will confiscate them if you try. instead you have two
options of how to pack them in your pack (assuming your pack will be
checked luggage). one, you can cinch them onto the side of your pack
(depending on the size and type of pack you have, this may or may not be
possible). the other option (the one i took), is to unscrew your poles
and put them inside your pack. i put socks on the sharp ends of mine to
keep them from puncturing my pack. i used thick socks and
rubberbands--worked great.

hope that helps. let me know if you have anymore questions.