Trail Police & Wild Fires (was) RE: [at-l] Trail closings

It won't be trail police.  It probably will be game wardens/rangers/etc. and
possibly local police.  Some of these Law Enforcement officers can be very
non-understanding during a "wild fire" alert (probably known by different
names in different areas).  After all wild fires can sweep down into
populated areas and/or burn lots of acres in "wilderness" areas. So they
won't just send you home.  Jail and heavy fines are possible and often
likely in some areas.

An acquaintance started a small fire in their backyard during a "wild fire"
alert.  They were heavily fined and avoid jail only by the hair of their
teeth.  Burning is a big NO-NO when such alerts have been issued.  I've even
heard of areas where "bobby-qing" is illegal under such alerts.

And some jurisdictions seem to close down areas to almost all or some
selected activities on the assumption you might start a fire even by
accident.  Some of the worst wild fires have been started by accident.  MEA
CULPA.  MEA CULPA.

When I was about 10, I started a "small" woods fire by shooting off penny
firecrackers on a railroad track.  I went on down the track and when I
turned around for some reason, I saw fire behind me.  It should not have
started since the area was not under drought conditions, and there was tiny
stream running through the area that was burning.  But it did.  I'm not that
careless any more.

So before you go, call the local police, fire depts., or call the
appropriate state dept. of natural resources.  And call them again once you
get there.  Another resource to call would be a local or regional newspaper.
Also, get the name of the person you're speaking to; that tends to make a
lot of people more careful about giving you the right answer.  No use
saying, "But your honor..."

William, The Turtle