[at-l] RE: Gear list

>* Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug 6 to 8
>inches deep at least 200 feet from water, camp, and
>trails.

I'd be happy if people went 50 feet off trail.

>* Pack out toilet paper and hygiene products.

I'd be happy if women didn't leave TP within sight of the trail

>* To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from

I'd be happy if I didn't see any macaroni and/or dogs in the water source.

>of biodegradable soap.

Doesn't all soap biodegrade?

>I see no problem using soap and treating it at least
>the same as sh*t.

I have never been offended by soap poured onto the forest duff?  If anyone
else has, I'd like to hear from them.  Sh*t is another story. and all to
frequent.

>acceptable, then you should carry out your sh*t too.

Not sure the official LNT people suggest that for the Eastern forests.
Makes sence in places like the Grand Canyon, though.

>Instead of leave no trace, maybe it should be "leave
>as little trace as possible",

Or just one that isn't disgusting.  I think having a standard that people
would actually follow for the AT would be a good one.  SInce dang few people
will ever follow the 200 foot rules, they are not a good guideline IMO.  Why
not establish a meaningful standard.