[at-l] Avoiding Spam

kahley wrote:

> if you are troubled by spam, you really can help cut
> down by the smart use of filters.  I watched, carefully,
> what was coming in and developed this list.  Your list
> will probably be different but I'm betting the one word that
> will make the biggest difference is Free.  That one filter
> takes out 20 percent of my spam.
>
> You might want to create a new folder named holding
> to route the filter to JIK something you actually want
> gets sent there.  Once a week or when ever I think of
> it, I scroll through "holding" before I "select all" and delete.
> These are the words i have filtered against.  They represent
> over 80 percent of the spam I receive.  It's a small satisfaction
> to download 100 pieces of spam and have only 17 make it through
> my filters.  BTW..most email programs have the capability to
> list several words in each filter created.  Look for a button named
> More.

	Kahley's suggestion works well. There's also filtering software that
works similarly, and provides enough bells & whistles to make it worth
considering. A Google search should turn up a number of options.

	I use Spam Killer (http://www.spamkiller.com/) personally, and really
like it. They have a free trial version, which is worth looking at, if
for no other reason than to see what sorts of things they filter for.

	Ron, who's just a user, not a paid spokesman
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com