Gear list, was Re: [at-l] base pack weight

*spare socks

Not sure if you mean one or more extra pairs when you say this.  A lot of
successful hikers it seems don't carry many extra pairs of socks, so I am
not sure that I speak with a sense of conventional wisdom on this.  Still,
IMHO one would be wise to carry a bunch of extra socks, liner socks,
different socks.  Personally, I would have something like 4 extra pairs (but
I wear 2 pairs at a time).

If your feet get wet, they will be appreciated.  If you get blisters, they
will be appreciated.  If you need to adjust your boot fit with a diferent
combo of socks, they will be appreciated.  With extra socks you won't need
to stop at the laundry so often.

I just don't see a down side to overdoing it in the sock department for the
first few weeks of one's trip.  I think extra socks are probably even more
important for SOBOS, or early NOBOs since thier feet are more likely to get
wet.  We socks suck.

Rick B