[at-l] pole usage vs muscle size

Bob C. wrote:

> "...And  please don't give me any crap about how women don't get bulky when they
> exercise."
>
> Most  everyone gets bulky when they exercise. Why is it a problem? My problem ia
> I  don't get bulky: just skinny -- well in the legs. Other parts seem to spread,
> whether I exercise or no.

It's a problem when you need your physical form to fit within certain
parameters - say the clothing you can buy off the rack.  Fat can
be dieted off, but there isn't much you can do with a muscle except
stop using it, or not let it get large in the first place.

There is a garment I wish to take on my section hike which absolutely
will not fit if my biceps (or shoulders) get larger.  Hence my question
about hiking poles.

I've managed to ruin tailored clothing by flexing before.  (It's
embarrassing.)  I'm not at that level of bulk right now, thank goodness,
but it's a problem for me.  You buy a shirt, it fits great, you exercise
a little, and RIIIIPP!

Possibly TMI:  I got stuck in a dressing room once because I couldn't
take off the clothing I was trying on.   My muscles were relaxed when I
slid the dress over my head.  Taking it off, however, involved pulling
up with my arms.  My muscles flexed, and I started to exceed the design
tolerance of the dress.  I had to wait until somebody could come undress me.

That's the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid here.

-amy