[at-l] Re: Hammocks & Weight (was: Gear: Shelter plans for NJ next week)

Back to Jim's question, including David, is what else is needed for a
hammock? One _could_ simply find trees of the right diameter and
distance and tie the rope directly to them, but then you begin to risk
damaging the trees from the binding and torsion. I like the quick and
less bark trauma of a tree hugger (webbing of some sort with 'biners
used to connect the hugger and the hammock). I looked at daisy chains
last week at REI, which were much lighter, but $21 each sort of set me
off from it.

So let's talk about the stuff that you use to make a hammock work,
assumming there is no need for a truck dashboard sheild and such. My
weight's get my baseline 2.5 pound original (non-ultralight) HH at
around 4-4 1/4 pounds. I think it is well justified in warm weather as
far more comfy than the ground and less gear is carried in any case.

Bill...