[at-l] Gear: Shelter plans for NJ next week

----- Original Message -----
From: "Orange Bug" <orangebug74@yahoo.com>
To: "at-l" <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2002 5:38 PM
Subject: [at-l] Gear: Shelter plans for NJ next week

> I'm about to just go with the Nomad and reserve the Hammock for warmer
> weather hiking until I get more experience>
> Bill....

My only observation (since we had 20s and 30s several nights plus snow
flurrys), is that the tent was quite a bit warmer then the Shelters. OTOH, A
shelter is REALLY good when you show up and it's raining.  That happened at
the RPH shelter where it really poured all night (and 10 people showed up).

I don't know hammocks.  My tent was a 2 piece: tent and fly - Sierra Designs
Ultra Lightyear (sort of a little brother to the Clip Flashlight).  As I
understand it the Nomad is single piece so that might be less warm.  The SD
has an air pocket between the tent and Fly and we were quite warm within.

Stay in the AMC cabin at Mohican the first night.  That puts off your
problem for one day anyway.

Pb