[at-l] Thoughts on Slackthinking

OK, since the subject matter is entitled "Thoughts on Slackthinking," I'm
going to add my two cents.  Now, I haven't thruhiked, so what I have to say
is more philosophical rather than based on experience, so, well, there.
ANYWAY, here goes:

Imagine you are hiking along, feeling good and proud, you've done a few
hundred miles on the AT carrying 30 (give or take) pounds of stuff on your
back, living like a hobo, eating the stuff you carry and stuff people throw
your way.  You've slipped and slid and fell.  You've walked through rain
storms where you thought the lightening was your personal enemy, ready to
strike you down at any given moment. You've gotten lost countless times, had
to backtrack.  You've thought of saying "Screw it, I'm going home." But,
you've carried on.  You've hiked miles and miles only to find a full shelter
and no place to pitch a tent.  You've missed a mail drop.  You lost the
Snicker Bar you've been saving to eat on that summit, only to drop it down
the side of the trail, lost forever.  You arrive at the top of a mountain,
the mountain you've been dreaming of climbing as part of your lifelong dream
of hiking the AT, only to find it covered with fog, with no view.  You need a
drink.  BAD.  It's a dry town.  You finally get to that lookout point, eager
to take a picture, and your camera is broken or out of film or any other
countless reasons why YOU CAN'T TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE.  You settle in to your
tent or shelter or hammock or whatever, and you reflect on your day and you
think to yourself, "Wow, I want to write in my journal"...... and your
headlamp, flashlight, or whatever has dead batteries.  You sleep in wet
clothes.  NOTHING, goes as planned. You bitch, you complain, you throw things
(or I do, anyway).  It ain't easy out there, but you're there.  Sometimes,
when the time is right, some magical being will say ONE SENTENCE, that will
totally rock your world.  That sentence is......

"You wanna slackpack a few miles and I'll drop your pack off
at_____________?"  My opinion is:  GO FOR IT.  You deserve it.  Consider it
"Trail Magic" and don't worry about it.  Thank the heavens that there are
people in the world who want to help you out.   Take the offer, don't offend
based on principle.  Enjoy.  Hike with limited weight...blah blah blah.....
Don't do it everyday, but take the guy/gal up on the offer when offered.
Again, you deserve it.

Just my inexperienced two cents...

Kelly

multipart/alternative