[at-l] Help with Boots?

Dear Collective Wisdom,
I bought some boots a couple of years ago...Vasque - (Journeys I
think).  They fit well and were purchased from Great Outdoor
Provision Co.  I asked to be fit and talked at length with the sales
person.  They have performed well for the last several years and I
only wear them when hiking.  The Problem:  On an AT hike last
month from Sams' Gap to Erwin my left foot toes really hurt on the
downhills.  They were scrunched into the toe of the boot and would
have been a major problem if we had to keep hiking past Erwin.
Went back to GOP Co. an talked to a salesman who I have great
respect for and he said they are the right size with the correct
amount of room in the heel and toe areas etc.  He has been to some
fancy boot fitting classes and genuinely seems to know what he is
doing.  I bought some inserts and learned some lacing techniques
from him but am a little worried about my upcoming plans for the
AT.  What do you suggest I do to be sure of my boots ability to carry
me well on the DOWNhills?  I have no chance of a short hike over
any real terrain before my section hike the first of May.
Thanks,
Tin Man