[at-l] Colin Fletcher

> Sometime last year I mentioned on the List that Colin Fletcher had been
> hit by a car in August and badly injured.  I wrote him a note back then
> and just received a postcard from him saying that he had been unconscious
> for a couple of weeks, and in the hospital for many weeks.  Now he is at
> home and just barely able to scribble.  This may have delayed the release
> of "The Complete Walker IV." I've noticed that the release date has been
> moved forward several times.  I'm so thankful he's still alive.

I hadn't heard that.  He's got to be 80 something, and I'm glad he wasn't
killed.  I have often wished to meet Mr. Fletcher - one of the people
responsible in many ways for my own wanderings - but every time I do I
wonder what the point would be.  I have known him almost my whole life
through his books, and I'm sure we would have nothing to talk about.  We'd
wind up sitting naked around a little campfire somewhere listening to the
crickets.  Not exactly the kind of activity you need company for.  He's a
very private person anyway, and I have enough respect for him that I
certainly wouldn't want to intrude on his life.

I saw that the book has been delayed, but if it's anything like III, I'm
sure it will be valuable.  I can hardly wait.

Shane