[at-l] Helping a newbie update: Warren's School Report 1

--- Shane Steinkamp <shane@theplacewithnoname.com>
wrote:

> Warren has very slickly talked him into
> slackpacking.  He
> did this by a combination appeal to 'people your age
> are
> hiking the trail like this, and this is how people
> your age
> are going to hike' (Bob is 60+).  The other ploy
> was, "Your
> wife can be your support team, and she can pick you
> up at
> the road every day."

Swamp Eagle and did his Key West to Gaspe hike this
way. His wife Honeycomb was very much a part of the
hike--she actually did a lot of the route planning
herself, if I remember right (more necessary when
you're not hiking actual trails). They had a motorhome
and towed a small jeep/SUV, then parked the motorhome
at a campground. She would shuttle Swamp Eagle out to
the trail/route each morning and pick him up each
night. He carried a day pack with his lunch, rain
gear, camera, water, etc., each day. She hiked with
him when she could. Sometimes, if roads were
particularly sparse, he would carry a larger pack and
a tent and camp overnight. It was a good set-up. I
don't know what Bob's goals are for his hike, but this
set up seemed to work well for both Swamp Eagle and
Honeycomb. Both were retirement age and in very good
shape. He got to hike, she got to be a big part of the
hike, and they both got to spend a lot of time
together.

If Bob would like to correspond with Swamp Eagle on
the pros and cons of this kind of hike, let me know. I
have his e-mail around here somewhere. I'm sure other
people on the list do, too.

Nina aka Waterfall
ME-GA 2000