[at-l] Lightweight packs

A good resource to check out gear reviews in very detailed for is the
Yahoogroups BackpackGearTest forum.

I have the Kelty Flight I bought after Christmas 2000 and have hiked with
it several times. Initially, I did not like it even though it is very light
and easily either loaded up or down. Kelty support is done through a
company that sells gear and tends to be a bit competitive, and advised me
that the pack should only be used for summitting and not for backpacking.
I've heard much different advise and disagree with Kelty support. BTW, EMS
offered to exchange the bag I bought on sale when asked about this information.

I have found that the key to the Flight is loading the thing up and begin
climbing a 2000 foot incline. Midway up you will find where the stays do
not fit your back. Unload and start bending and adjusting to your back,
until your load fits you like a mamma's hand to a baby's butt. You will
know instantly when this occurs, as all movement and shifting stops and
walking becomes pretty efficient. In my opinion, either of the belts that
come with it (simple web belt or biggy padded thing) work equally well
distributing weight to my hips. If you weight about 200 pounds, do not try
to use the web belt as a tree hugger for your Hennessey Hammock. The clips
will hold but certain stitching pops in the most inconvenient and
embarrassing way. You can often find this pack around $100, which is a steal.

Mountainsmith has a terrific reputation, and I will stand back and let one
of their fans get you up to speed.

OrangeBug