[at-l] RE: Tent COlor was : Part 7 - Tent Selection

I think all tents should be day-glo, reflective safety orange with bright,
sunny yellow stripes. :-)

Actually, I'm such a peaceable soul that I prefer carrying something that
can be seen, and I apologize to any hikers I might offend.  Yes, it is
visual pollution, but probably only to humans since animals don't see
exactly the way we do.

I once read an interesting article that said it was the breaking up of a
pattern that mattered the most and not the color (unless you're tracking
people or they're tracking you).  It even suggested that you could probably
use bright color camo and get the camo effect for some animals.

Hmmm...  Camo in shocking pink and lavender?

But while I might not go that far, I still think some color is a good idea
for those parties that  "stumble" across you.  Especially if you're not
ready to greet them at the flap with a sawed off shotgun.  If you "scream",
"I'M HERE!!!" visually, then they're less likely to be startled or think
you're feds (revenuers).  Also, even the drunkest hunter is less likely to
shoot at a "pink deer" than a movement in the bush.

William, The Green Turtle with spots of pint (from Cherry Garcia)