[at-l] Want Hiking Books at Your Library (was) Re: Libraries & hiking resources

Also, many libraries do not know that you want such resources.  If you
really, really want them, then really, really mention it to them
(particularly to the acquisitions librarian since not every library staffer
is a librarian).  Write them letters (especially to the director and the
acquisitions librarian).  And mention to them that there are x number (or
just "a lot") of hikers and backpackers in the area; it's a good family
sport; it's a growing sport...   Etc.  Etc.

An article in a professional library journal is a good example.  A lady was
a top-rank librarian in her local public system.  Her husband, an academic
or special librarian, asked why the local library did not have more books on
car repairs.  She replied that they did.  He countered that the library had
two & both were out-of-date.  She came back with the argument that there
wasn't much demand for that type of book.  He countered that maybe there
wasn't much demand because the public "knew" there wasn't anything in the
library on car repairs: Once you've read the same book, why re-read it?
That stopped the lady in her thoughts.

The article went on to say that perhaps librarians ought to do more to find
out what is really, really wanted.  One way your library can find out is if
you and your friends demand such books and point out the potential audience.
Perhaps even volunteer to draw up a list and set-up a display.

William, The Library Turtle
	-- Cataloger --
"Mary Kay is one of the masters of the world: A librarian.  They control
information.  Don't ever piss one off." -- from the CALLAHAN series by
Spider Robinson.

PS	Forgive the overabundance of "reallys".  I've heard this annoying
commerical too many times and now this lyric that goes "really, really" is
stuck in what I use for a mind.  If it loops many more times, I'm going
serial -- not too hard since I use to be a serial librarian (ask a
librarian).