[at-l] Sort of a hike report

Last Thursday, Melinda and I got a surprise phone call that was better
than the boss saying, "Take the afternoon off."  Her mom called.  She
wanted the kids (all 3 of them) so we could have a date.  Great!  I
think of the things I have to do and start planning the day.  Then, I
hear the really excellent news.  They are going to spend the night!!!

YES!

hurryupandcutthegrass(OhGawdit's5acres)showerchangeclothesandgetoutthedoor

Western NC, here we come!

Our favorite little town is Black Mtn, NC so we decide to roll through
Flat Rock and stop in at the bakery (brick oven baker in the back of
"The Wrinkled Egg" - it's an eclectic little touristy trap kinda store)
get a couple of loaves of bread and head to the mtns.

We arrive around 4:30 and head for Montreat to hike around a little.
Now it's not too long until we figure we'll be ready for pizza and a
beer at My Father's Pizza, but our senses urge us up Lookout Trail until
we find the old RR grade.  We prod around a couple of trails, looking
for one that has no mtn bike treads on it and fewer footprints until we
happen upon the old Mitchell Toll Rd, Northbound.  Lots of signs saying,
"This is not the way to Montreat" to which we're like "DUH!"

Now we're not really in hiking clothes, not even good hiking shoes mind
you, but the trail is just damp in places so we trek right along.  Just
a wonderful walk until we get tired of walking and decide to sit down
and relax for a while.  No great mtntop view, just a little overlook
halfway up the mtn and out where the trail curves around the ridge.
Spring time is just peeking through at us with trillium and just all
these wonderful wildflowers about 3 days from all their glory.

We get to spend a few minutes enjoying each other's company much like we
used to do 9+ years ago before the kids came along to gloriously bless
and change our lives.  We talked about how much we loved the mtns, the
times we've spent hiking, swimming in mtn streams, goofing off, just
enjoying the time together.

I doubt we will ever hike long distances together.  But those day trips,
even those 1.5 hr afternoon walks rekindle so much in us.  Our love of
hiking, our desire to move to the mtns, my longing for weeks away from
work and cars and sleeping under a roof - and so much more wells up in
our souls until we reach a nice peaceful acceptance that one day those
things can happen.  Then it's hunger.  No, really hunger - pizza and
beer time!

So off we go back down the trail, running across some mtn bikers at a
trail confluence who tell us that the old Mitchell Toll Rd goes all the
way to the parkway, about 9 miles or so.

(tuckthatawayforthenexttimewe'reinBlackMtnformorethananafternoon)

Aaahhh!  My Father's Pizza - white garlic sauce with romano, mozzarella,
asiago, asparagus, prosciutto, and eggplant.  Honest John's Stout
perfects it.

Then it's time to go.  Home to where life is still good and peaceful.
Home to where those dreams and hopes are born and nurtured.  Home, for
now.

Raymond