  From: Ryan K. Brooks
  To: at-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2002 10:30 PM
  Subject: [at-l] Admin Note

  I've received complaints regarding the off-topic nature of many of the list
  posts lately- in particular this most recent thread.   Here's the best I can
  come up with- it's not very kind to anyone, but I don't like being the list
  cop:

  ----

  Everything in this discussion is off-topic.  The AT-L isn't designed to be a
  place to:

  - Shop for reactions- this list isn't a social experiment.
  - Talk about someone who talks about talking about the AT-L.  (and yes,
  that's what I meant!)
  - Speculate on who is masquerading as who with AOL screen names.

  Please remember that if you wouldn't shout out the contents of your post to
  a room full of  730 friends and strangers who have a common interest, it
  probably isn't a good thing to send out to the list.   Send it in private
  email instead.

   I have an idea:

  If everyone agrees to drop this topic for 14 days, I'll send $100 to the
  ATC.  30 days, $250. *

  Please!

  PS: I know this is rather harsh, but your admin is a bit tired tonight.
  PPS: Follow ups to private email - ryan@backcountry.net or any of the other
  addresses you have for me.
  PPPS: I hate sending out emails like this.

  *- starts Monday

  ----