Re[2]: [at-l] Re: The Bryson Book, wade right in and stir it up

The thing is, everyone who has ever done a thru-hike will have a friend or
relative that reads the book.  I finally read it (a through skim anyway) at
my mom's house after spying it on her shelf.

I liked a number of things about the book, but didn't find it funny.  Most
do, I understand.  I just didn't see his portraits of people and the
experience to be close enough to my reality to be funny.  For something to
be really funny, it has to mirror reflect your own experience right?  I
liked parts, like the backgound info on Palmerton.  I liked his story with
the security gaurd there, too.  Somehow that did mirror my own experiences,
albeit way off trail.   I remember thinking something was strange about that
area, but had no clue.  So I learned something from Bryson.  To be honest, I
learned a number of things.

What I didn't see in the book was a lot of joy, nor a celebration of all the
good you see in people along the Trail.  I'm not talking about a free soda,
either.  It wouldn't take too much effort to find examples of truely
selfless, inspiring acts along the AT. And make them funny. EVERY thruhiker
has them, or knows of them.  Perhaps I missed those in my skimming.  I also
didn't see much evidence of the inspiration that all hikers can gleam from
other backpackers.  Not just the famous ones like Bill Irwin, but the
everyday people who have rearanged thier lives to make a dream come true.  I
didn't see much appreciation for the beauty that is the Trail, nor of the
volunteers that give so much back to it.  I know he is first a humorist, but
again I think humor is better when it reflects our reality.  Aren't sit-coms
better when we care about the characters?

Again, I skimmed the book so I don't pretend to be an expert. I'll save that
pretention for later.  I just think it missed the mark.  Its the kind of
book that looks to be written on someone's bad grumpy day, rather than on a
good one.  Sort of like some of our posts.

Rick B