The love of rain. WAS: RE: Fwd: [at-l] Self Doubt

On 14 Apr 2002 at 19:02, Shane Steinkamp wrote:

> > How do you keep feet from blistering when they
> > get soaking wet (and stay that way for hours?)
>
> Depending on temperature and terrain:
>
> 1.  Barefoot.
> 2.  Sandals.
> 3.  Gaiters.
> 4.  Even with gaiters, sometimes you need frequent sock
> changes, so an extra pair or two of socks in rainy weather
> is useful.

Won't the replacement pair (socks) be soaked in a
matter of minutes anyway?  What's the point, then?

It's really odd.  I managed to walk 700 miles in '90
without a single blister.  But I think I used up my
lifetime's supply of blister-immunity on that stretch.

In the ensuing years (and even later that season,
in Maine, with the same gear) , I've had no end of
trouble with blisters.

I don't get it.  Seems to me that once that outer layer
of skin is thoroughly soaked, it's prone to being
rubbed clean off if you're not very, very careful.

rafe b.