[at-l] Springer Bear Activity

Bears were active the night before last at Springer Shelter, according =
to the caretaker who spent the night at the shelter last Friday night. I =
met him around noon on Saturday at the Springer Shelter after he had =
just finished cleaning up the garbage the bear had left. An aluminium =
mess kit had puncture teeth holes through out. The caretaker's titanium =
mess kit survived with only scratches. The bear has learned to climb the =
tree and bounce the wire until the bags bounce off the hooks. The fear, =
of course, is that the next contact will involve human bear contact in =
an occupied shelter.
Lesson 1. Use a beener to secure your food bag and not the provided =
hook.
Lesson  2. Titanium may prevent a hike ending encounter between bear and =
your mess kit.
Thankfully, my last 24 hours of drizzley hiking was uneventful. Left =
around 11 from the FS 42 Benton Mackaye crossing to Springer, leaving =
Springer nobo on the AT, camping near Long Creek Falls. I left the trail =
at Hightower around noon on Sunday.=20
David Addleton
vocate atque non vocate deus aderit
http://dfaddleton.home.mindspring.com