[at-l] Virus in Water

On 14 Apr 2002 at 12:34, Bryan Kramer wrote:

> I think there are two types of people, those who believe that their bodies are
> delicate mechanisms easily put into dangerous disarray and those who
> know that we a darn tough species who have the ability to deal with most
> environmental challenges without any effects.

LOL.  I'm sure the microorgansims, viruses, etc., could care
less which of these two "types" I am.

I used to think I was safely in that second category.  I had hiked
the Whites for years and years, dipping my cup into any/every
stream along the way, never filtering or treating any of it.

In October 1989, that practice finally backfired on me, and I
spent a rather amusing week with a royal case of giardia.
Lost about ten pounds before it was all over.

Bodies are pretty rugged -- usually.  But that ruggedness
tends to fade a bit with advancing years, and a whole raft
of medical conditions.  I don't hike anymore without a water
filter.

rafe b.
aka terrapin