[at-l] Re: The Bryson Book, wade right in and stir it up

At 04:17 PM 4/13/02 -0700, Orange Bug wrote:
>I don't recall many books that tell stories by referring to "the funny
>story that someone else told me." Most stories that stimulate a story
>teller involve the teller in some way, with the teller usually
>providing some connection to the listener. Sometimes these stories
>click and sometimes not.

rafe mentioned Eric Ryback who I think tells one of the most humorous bear
encounter stories I ever read (one that happened to him and 2 companions),
but when I read it to some non-hikers they were horrified.  They only saw
the danger of the situation, not the humor.  It's a matter of context.  The
general public lacks the background and experience to find humor in a lot
of the things a hiker thinks are a riot.

sAunTerer