[at-l] The Ministery of Funny Walks

rick boudrie wrote:

> With so many truely amazing real-life stories on the Trail, and with
> recognition of the time-honored and venerable art of spinning a good yarn,
> how is one to know the difference in the Ministery of Funny Walks?

I suppose the only way to really know the difference is to ask me. If I remember
the truth, I'll probably tell you. As it turns out, I lie pretty good for an
honest man.

> At first I thought it ws based in reality, but embelished just a bit.  Then,
> I became convinced that everthing could be testified to in a court of law
> with a clean conscience.  Your tale about getting a date with those girls a
> few month ago left me scratching my head though.  That seemed very plausible
> given everthing I
> have picked up here on the list.

Most of the stories are 95% made up. There may be real scenes in my head that my
imagination walks through...but, what comes out on the other side is out of my
control. If you want, I can tell you exactly what is true from each story: (How
much of an answer did you want when you axed this question?)

O-ring: This is the story that is closest to real. There was no o-ring, however.
Most of the other stuff happened except that I really don't live over the bar. I
do live near the town, though. Most of the stuff the other character said...he
really said.

Lizzie:  Nothing true. I've never hiked with a cat.
Delirium: Probably the most easily related-to story. I can't say that those
actual thoughts ever really happened...but, that kind of rambling certainly
does.
Steve loves Peggy: None of this actually happened. Though, I'm sure I've seen
pennies in cracks with candle wax. The line about being from 'southern Missouri.
Well, southern Illinois' really happened...though, it wasn't in a shelter and it
wasn't a hiker. I just liked the line.
The Picnic: Nothing real here. When I write about Sundown, I just picture him
doing something and the story kinda writes itself. He is a blast.
Gonzo: Nothing real here. This was the first story someone ever actually watched
me write...Yup, it was Gonzo.
Gotta be Wednesday: The only thing here that was real is I'm sure I've wondered
what day it was before while hiking. Wednesday was Gonzo's dog. So, I figured it
had to be Wednesday.
Bug's Life: Only thing real there was that I once watched some ants and thought
I'd like to write a whole story about an ant. Because of a mix-up, the story got
turned in before it was done...so, I still haven't written a whole story about
an ant. Maybe someday.  :-)
Twenty Items or Less: Not really true. Feasible? Yes. Nearly true? Yes. The
situation at the Subway at the Gathering a few years ago was the idea. And, the
fact that I flirt on occasion....well, let's just say I flirt on occasion. I
haven't been bowling in years, though.
The Test: Nothing real here.

So, does that answer your question? The bottom line is, it really doesn't
matter. I guess. A good friend of mine says she gets angry when she reads my
Purtlebaugh stories and realizes they aren't true. I just say "They are true if
you want them to be."

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98