[at-l] "WALKING HOME"

As some of you know, I collect and read AT books, especially journals of
thru-hikes.  Recently I have been recommending WALKING HOME and yesterday I
received an off-list inquiry regarding the year that Amazin' Grace's book
is about.  The inquirer thought he may have hiked the same year and met her.

I could not recall a year being mentioned (dates are month and day only) so
I scanned the book to see if I could find a year.  Failing to find a year I
replied with a list of trail names, reasoning that if they had hiked the
same year and met they would have known some of the same people.  Then this
morning as I looked more closely at the book I noticed a disclaimer on the
copyright page that I had not seen before (I don't always read the
copyright page) which prompted me to send the following addendum to the
off-list inquiry:

>Upon further review of the book I found a notice on the copyright page
>that I had not seen earlier:
>"Although the events described in this book are true, in order to protect
>the privacy of the people involved, names and identifying characteristics
>have been changed.  The trail names used in the book are typical, but they
>are not those of actual hikers encountered by the author.  Any resemblance
>between names and identifying characteristics used in this book and those
>of actual people -on or off the trail- is unintentional and purely
>coincidental."
>
>In light of that disclaimer, I'm sure the list of trail names I forwarded
>will be of no use in determining whether the author hiked the AT during
>the same year that you did.  My apologies for not realizing sooner that
>this was not a strictly factual journal of an attempted thru-hike.

Prior to my discovery of the disclaimer I took the book to be factual
account of a thru-hike attempt.  My only qualms about the book involved
what I felt was an unnecessarily detailed description of the sexual
peculiarity of a pre-hike S.O.  I can see why the author might have felt
compelled to "change the name to protect the innocent" in that case, but I
find it disturbing that she chose to fictionalize *everyone* in the
book.  Even Bill Bryson, whose WALK IN THE WOODS is widely regarded as
largely fictional did not include such a disclaimer.  In fact,
he  dedicated the book to Katz, the character that most readers regard as
being fictional.

In light of the above I withdraw my recommendation of WALKING HOME as a
factual account of a thru-hike attempt.  This does not mean that it isn't a
well written book or that it is not a worth while read but I no longer see
it fitting into the thru-hiker's journal genre.  I'm sorry if I mislead
anyone with my recommendation.  I should have seen the disclaimer sooner.

sAunTerer (who will always read copyright pages in the future)