OT: Re: [at-l] The Bryson Book

>He really explored that country in depth and reawoke my old desire to
> >spend time there. It seemed to me he described a lot of places
>that ordinary tourists would never see, but might want to. I liked that
>one.

While some people hate him for being a tad cranky and seemingly judgemental,
one of my favorite travel authors is Paul Thereoux.  His fiction is good,
but his travel books are brilliant IMO.  If you haven't read it already, as
a follow up to Byson's book on Austrailia you might be interested in his
"Happy Isles of Oceana" where he kayaks around that general region.

I once thought I saw him at Lakes of the Clouds, but didn't introduce
myself.  Probably was someone else. He could have written an amazing AT
book.

Rick Boudrie