[at-l] LASIK info, FWIW

As someone who: (a) has had the surgery; and (b) researched it for 15
years before going for it, I applaud this excellent post.  I would
expand on it with two or three points of emphasis.  The pupil size thing
is a biggie!  If your doc is GOOD, he/she will be careful to discuss
where your pupil size fits in the range, and how much correction you
need . . . if your pupil is larger than average, and you are - say -
very nearsighted, you ought to CAREFULLY talk to your doc about the
possible increased risk of more significant "starrring" effects at night
or in low light.  If you need a lot of correction, and plan to climb
mountains over 15-20,000 feet, you should ask whether your cornea will
be weakened enough so that your enesight will deteriorate badly at such
altitudes [due to bulging].  If you are in your 40's, be prepared to
need reading glasses even if your surgeon is perfect - he/she can only
correct for ONE thing, and that is your distance vision - the need for
reading glasses is due to other, inevitable changes in the eye . . . you
also might look for the various Laser types, but I have not kept up with
which are the best today, but there are some newer models that are
"better" than the older models - but the laser should be about 5% of the
equation, and A GOOD DOC should count for the other 95%!

thru-thinker