[at-l] NIMBYISM

On 12 Apr 2002 at 17:28, Bob C. wrote:

> You  say,  that's  comparing apples and oranges. Okay, let's put a wind tower on
> Half  Dome,  and  arrays  in  Tuolumne Meadows, the Northern Cascades, the Grand
> Tetons....

If, in the trade, we'd never have another pipeline, another Exxon
Valdez, or another Gulf War, then I'd call it a good deal.

I don't doubt that there may be "more appropriate" places for a
wind farm.  I don't doubt, either, that wherever such a farm is
proposed, there will be staunch opposition from the locals. A
similar battle is curently being fought on Cape Cod. (Or is it
Nantucket?)  Property values, you know...

Though you surely have the best interests of the AT at heart, I
call it NIMBYism just the same.  Your back yard just happens
to be the AT in this case.

Good lord, Weary.  From various places on the AT, I can see
factories, smokestacks, highways, and towns.  I remember
clearly looking out over city lights at Trey Mtn. shelter.  Didn't
bother me in the least.

What's the harm in gazing on some windmills?

rafe b.