[at-l] Re: Beating that dead horse.

Rick wrote:
>Yes. The issue is not willingness to shoot someone

Hmm - you'd be surprised at how many people are unwilling to shoot even when
they're armed and being shot at.  Read S.L.A. Marshall's analysis "Men
against Fire".  It got worse in Korea and Vietnam.  It's worse yet today.

>Have you shared a range with a local law enforcement officer lately?

Yes.  And on the range, they shoot no better than I do.  On the street,
todays "average" cop (if there is any such thing) will never draw his
weapon.  He therefore has no real idea how he'll react if shot at.  Many of
us 'older guys" don't have that problem.  We've been there and done that -
and we know how we react.  To repeat the entire thought -
>The basic assumption that only the police are capable of handling guns >or
>otherwise frustrating criminal intent is terminally flawed.

>;-). Frankly, I am more concered about judgement, however.  I see it
>lacking all around me.

So do I - and not just with respect to guns.  Care to drive where I do?  Or
maybe you know what I mean?  Gotta keep in mind where you live.  But the
"lack of judgment" is, to a very large degree, attitude and lack of
training.

>Bravo.  We are more in agreement than your realize.  My comments with
>respect to guns are largely limited to the communal experience which is
>hiking the AT.  WIth shared hostels and shelters.

That's one of several reasons why the Thruhiking Papers are written as they
are.

>The difference is huge.  You were talking about real intimidation and
>probable robbery and rape.  Opinions regarding the best uses of the Trail
>don't fit in that same catagory, though some react as if they are.

You're welcome to disagree, but I see no difference at all in the basic
attitudes.  There were people in Montana who saw me as an intruder, someone
who was "different", who did things that they didn't understand - and who
was therefore "inferior" and by extension, "not-quite-human".  There are
those who look at Trail runners as intruders on the Trail, who are
"different", doing things they don't understand - and are therefore,
"inferior" - and by extension, "not-quite-human".  The same words have in
the past described the attitudes about muslims in Serbia, "intellectuals" in
Cambodia, Catholics in Northern Ireland, Jews in Germany, the Hmong in
Vietnam and others.  In all cases, the differences create mistrust,
suspicion and even darker emotions.  That is, by definition, prejudice.
Definition --- "PREJUDICE, strictly defined, a preformed and unsubstantiated
judgment or opinion about an individual or a group,..."   Read Thomas
Sowell's "Preferential Policies".

With respect to runners, I saw a lot of "preformed" opinion - and I saw no
indication that those who held those opinions were trail runners - or had
talked to a trail runner.  In other words, the opinions were
"unsubstantiated".

Oh - you're concerned about the "physical" part of it?  Then think about
what I posted about terrorism -
"They are just utterly convinced that what they are doing is right, and they
will do anything to achieve their objective".

Somewhere out there is a hiker who believes that runners are the scum of the
Earth and the ruination of the Trail.  After all, wasn't that what WF
taught?  And wasn't WF ALWAYS right? I heard that derisive snort - but I can
put names to some of the people who DO believe that.  How big a step is it
from that absolute righteous belief to indignation and physical violence as
a runner passes that hiker on the Trail?  Why would that be so different
from what "could" have happened in Montana?

No difference, Rick, just a different application.

>I guess my philosophy is to accept that we are all judgemental.

Yes - but I try avoid practicing self-delusion as well as judgmentalism. I
don't always succeed, but I try.

>But everything is not comparable simply because it can be labelled
>judgement.

It is if the potential for violence exists.

>If people keep reacting to these issues as if it all judgemetnt regarding
>the AT is remotely akin to that of robbers and rapists who despise hikers,
>then how can we possibly talk about things that we are passionate about?
>By and large I would say 99.9% of the disagreement or judgement on this
>list has to do with expressions of passion rather than prejudice.  That's
>my take, anyway.

Yes - but no one's likely to get violent about your choice of water filter
or your take on wind farms.  Trail running is different - because those who
do it are a different "group".  It's "We" vs "Them".

Short story - a couple years ago - hunter gets out of his car, heads for his
stand.  A group of PETA people beats the bejesus out of him - he spends some
time in a hospital.  Tell me - is "animal rights" a cause that promotes
violence to humans?  Is hiking an activity that promotes violence to
runners?  Answer - No, in both cases.  But it happened in one case (that WAS
a true story).  What justification is there for assuming it won't ever
happen in the other case?  How much responsibility will anyone take for
promoting the kind of intolerance (read - prejudice) that would lead to that
kind of situation.

Prejudice is truly blind because those who practice it are incapable of
seeing themselves in the mirror.

With luck, this horse is truly dead now. Otherwise we'll have to  execute
Dead Horse Strategy #13 and declare that "no horse is too dead to beat"
:-))

Walk softly,
Jim