[at-l] Wind Farms and NIMBYism

In a message dated 4/12/2002 1:22:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rafe.bustin@verizon.net writes:

> One interesting characteristic of NIMBYism, I've found, is
> that it's always couched in some other rationale. <

> >Or in the case of the AT, our "viewshed"

    ***  Upon closer inspection of this particular project, you should be
aware that it is very likely this clean and green trojan horse is meant to
supply power to a huge development under the AT near Saddleback. You're being
duped and taking the bait Rafe. They want green conscious people to see it as
a progressive gesture towards developing alternative energy. The end result
of backing this particular windmill will be 400 foot pylon strewn ridges
marring the unbroken view from the AT which currently stretches up to Canada.
These windmills will have lighted blades swirling at night for a Coney Island
effect. THEN... the power gotten from them will enable the rural lands
surrounding the Trail to be developed, further decreasing the wild quality of
the Trail. The ignorance of these power developers stems from AT members
failing to express adequately to the public just what exactly the AT is. I
can't see how anybody interested in the AT could somehow see any positive
side to this...

    MacKaye:  "REGIONAL PLANNING"  starting to sink in yet??? (or is it
"irrelevant")

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---