[at-l] Re: Wind Farms and NIMBYism

> Wish I was with you (and the ATC) on the wind-farm issue, but I'm not.
>
> If we want the world to start developing and using alternative energy
> sources, we can't be engaging in NIMBYism.
>
> rafe b.
> aka terrapin

	I don't know that I'd qualify this as a case of NIMBYism. I oppose
wood-burning and bio-mass electricity generation in the Missoula area,
not because I live in Missoula, but because it's a bad place to build
such industries. The surrounding mountains trap smoke and other
pollutants, especially during the winter. On the other hand, if they
were economically feasible, I would welcome (well designed and placed)
windmills in the valley.

	Similarly, a well designed wind farm might be workable in sections of
Maine, but not necessarily anywhere it is economically feasible because
of other legitimate concerns. Opposition based on those concerns is not
NIMBYism.

	Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com