[at-l] motivations -- was Self Doubt

On 12 Apr 2002 at 3:46, Orange Bug wrote:

> Thank _you_ for bringing it up.
>
> On the "success" thing, I'd like one result. We have a bunch of folks
> who come here for planning who make grand statements of purpose and
> brag on the "success" of their thru hike long before beinging to walk
> in their neighborhoods.

Excellent point, OB.

One wonders sometimes if that early bravado isn't
mainly intended to run up the stakes for the hiker,
so as the add incentive not to quit.  I've told all these
folks back home, I can't let them down.

Of course, the strategy backfires if, in spite of it all,
the hiker does decide to leave the trail before finishing.
Oh dear -- now what do I tell the folks back home?

My suggestion is to keep it to yourself and *not* to
advertise your intentions too loudly or broadly.  For
one thing, most folks in the real world haven't the
slightest clue what you'll be attempting.  Nor will
you, in fact, until you actually start your hike.

Typical real-world folks, when hearing of your hike,
will nod and smile politely and (if you're lucky) will
utter words of encouragment.  Inwardly, they're
probably thinking that you've lost your mind and
are in need of professional help.

rafe b.
aka terrapin