[at-l] Stephenson 2R Tent on Mt. Rainier

In a message dated 4/11/2002 3:38:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gbuffmd@bigfoot.com writes:

>  I want to take the
> Stephenson.  The instructor David Spring of Bellevue Community College says
> it is entirely inadequate.  He says the tent can't stand wind over 60 MPH
> and all tents need high guy out lines at 4 corners.

     *** Trust him. I climbed Rainier in 1988 and had 60 mph + winds up on
the mountain. After the first night at Muir camp the tents set up outside
were all torn to shreds by morning. They were literally like prayer flags
flapping on strings. On the last night after summiting I slept out in my
north face VE-24 expedition grade tent. The wind that night blew hard over
60mph. I was kept awake all night by the tent roof coming down and smacking
me in the head at ground level. The tent poles have been permanently bent
ever since. The only two tents not to be ripped to shreds on that trip were
mine and another north face tent...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---