[at-l] Self Doubt

rafe.bustin@verizon.net wrote:

> Very, very interesting.  As my attitude went downhill, I observed
> that my hike had many of the attributes of a job.  Like the 9-to-5
> kind.  Like, "not fun."  And it occurred to me that I had set out to
> have fun, that fun was a pretty high priority.  After all, if I'd wanted
> a job, I wouldn't have quit a perfectly good one in order to do my
> hike.  I had spent two months traveling 700 miles.  I didn't see
> the point of spending four more months not having fun, in order to
> prove a point (and to whom?)

This is my approach to life.  If something I formerly enjoyed
stops being fun, I wait a while to see if it gets fun again.
If not, I vary the activity to see if that helps.  If it
doesn't, I take a break from it.  Why torture yourself?

So far I've quit running, figure skating, and aikido because
the pain/injury level was too high compared to the joy.  (Though
it was mighty close for aikido.)  But I can always go back
and try them again later.  :)

-amy