[at-l] RE: How to help a Newbie: Update 4

  [Shane:]
  Now, for the questions.  Does anyone use a Camelback?  I took the bag out of
  it's little pack and put it in the top compartment of Bob's back pack.  The
  bladder is made of a very soft rubber like material that seems very fragile
  to me.  How durable is this?  The Platypus I just bought seems much more
  durable.

[Rami:]

I've used a platy before, but not the one with a hose attached.  I own 5 different camelbaks.
I love them and would never hike without them.
Carmen and Jade each have their own and Susan and I use the others almost daily (at least once a week)
They are very durable and flexible.  In fact, the only problem I've ever had is with the bite valve in very cold (-10 degrees) weather.  The residual water froze in the valve and when one of the girls went to bite and drink, the tooth/ice bite caused a cut in the side of the bite valve.

I have a sleeve in my pack which accommodates (2 100oz.!!) my camelbak(s) Carmen stows hers in a side pocket, Susan stows hers in the top of the pack just under the lid.

They're better than great.  I wouldn't even waste my time on anything else.  I don't even own any nalgene's anymore!

-r

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---